Kyocera Connector Products Corp. has developed a 0.5-mm pitch flexible printed circuit/flexible flat cable (FPC/FFC) connector with a suite of features to enhance productivity in robust assembly operations.
Mobile phones and related devices have created rising demand for smaller, thinner FPC/FFC connectors. These connectors require delicate handling in the assembly process and may be damaged by improper insertion or unintentional manual contacts with certain parts. Kyocera’s highly robust 6809 series electronic connectors, introduced in 2014, were designed with this challenge in mind and have performed well.
Kyocera’s newly developed 6811 series follows the same concept, but has been enhanced with even more robust features. It has a pitch of 0.5 mm, profile height of 1.28 mm, and is available in 4 to 16 pins. The 6811 series connector features bottom contacts, a front locking mechanism, and connects applicable FPC/FFC with a thickness of 0.3 mm. Despite its space-saving profile and low pin counts, robustness has been enhanced with metal brackets which prevent cables from being lifted up out of the connector. In addition, the 6811 helps increase assembly efficiency by using tabbed FPC/FFC, preventing contact misalignment from oblique or shallow insertions and enabling visual confirmation of correct insertion.
Key features include:
1. The new connector saves space with its low pitch of 0.5 mm and profile height of 1.28 mm.
2. Robust design prevents unlocking and connector breakage from FPC/FFC being lifted
unintentionally. Strong metal brackets prevent actuators from being unlocked and minimize connector
breakage from unintentional lifting of mated FPC/FFC during the assembly process.
3. Prevents misaligned contacts and incomplete mating. Use of FPC/FFC with tabbed cables prevents contact misalignment from oblique or shallow insertions, and enables visual confirmation of proper mating conditions.
4. Reduces damage from errors in actuator operation. Robust structure that prevents damage from moving the actuator in the wrong direction or inserting FPC/FFC too forcibly.
5. Enables FPC/FFC to be fixed with actuator locks. Actuator that locks FPC/FFC with tabbed cables ensures reliable connection even if the FPC/FFC is pulled forcibly, minimizing or eliminating the likelihood of deforming the contacts or connector structure.
6. Packaged in tape and reel (4,000 pieces/reel).
7. RoHS compliant and halogen-free
Kyocera Connector Products Corp