Kyocera Connector Products Corp. announced that it has developed a board-to-board battery connector for use with portable electronic devices such as smartphones, tablets and wearables. The new 7129 Series connector goes on sale January 30.
The ever-expanding functionality of today’s mobile devices is creating demand for faster charging times and increased battery capacity. This requires strong, durable connectors with higher current capability. However, with board space at a greater premium than ever, connectors must meet these higher strength and current requirements within an even smaller, thinner form factor.
Kyocera’s new 7129 Series board-to-board connector is rated for currents up to 10 A to help reduce charging times for mobile devices. Additionally, despite its space-saving size — just 0.7 mm stacking height, 2.2 mm width and 5.64 mm length — this robust connector is designed for high retention, with a metal guide component to prevent mating misalignment damage to insulators and contacts.
This connector continues Kyocera’s tradition of helping customers meet the latest demands of the electronic device market.
Its main features include:
1. 10 A current rating — Capable of conducting up to 10 A of current — one of the highest for smartphones* — to help reduce charging times. (Please refer to the catalog for pattern layout on PCBs.)
* Based on research by Kyocera Connector Products as of January 2017.
2. High retention and mating misalignment protection — A metal cover enhances retention strength, which may otherwise be compromised in space-saving connectors with low profile heights. The structure of the metal cover also helps guide connectors over a smooth surface for easy mating, and prevents damage from contact misalignment.
3. Space savings — Compact form factor features a 0.7 mm stacking height, 2.2 mm width and 5.64 mm length.
4. Packaged in Tape and Reel (15,000 pieces/reel)
5. RoHS compliant and Halogen-Free